Downtown Banner Design Contest Guidelines
August 15, 2012 by DowntownPhoenix
Leave your mark on Downtown Phoenix.
Show us your creativity, your passion for design or your idea of the spirit of Downtown and it could be displayed on over 100 light poles in the urban core. One top designer will have their work turned into street banners, which will be prominently displayed throughout Downtown in 2013 before being turned into tote and messenger bags made from the reclaimed material.
Five entries will be chosen by a panel of distinguished judges to be entered into a “People’s Choice” online poll. The entry with the most votes after two weeks will have their work turned into street banners.
Besides having their work displayed across Downtown Phoenix, the winner will receive:
– A $500 cash prize
– A solo show of the banners in the Downtown Phoenix Ambassadors Information Center gallery
– A full set of banners to keep
– Their work featured on the Downtown Phoenix Partnership blog and social media accounts
– Each light pole has two banners and preference will be given to designs that span across both banners.
– Each banner is 18 inches wide and can be between 30 to 48 inches tall.
– Use of bright colors is encouraged.
– The winner must create three to five different designs that will be repeated throughout Downtown. Banner artwork can be in any medium, if you aren’t a graphic designer, that’s ok. All two-dimensional mediums will be considered.
– The Downtown Phoenix Partnership logo must appear on each set of final banners. Don’t worry about including a perfect version in the sketch; just keep in mind that the logo will appear in the final version.
– Submissions must be received by midnight on Monday, October 1, 2012.
How to Submit:
Each submission must include the following
– Two detailed sketches of different banner designs (Total of two sketches. One sketch each for two different banners. Can be two single banner designs or two double banner designs). Sketches may be in any artistic medium, but should be appropriately scaled to the final banner dimensions. Keep in mind, these sketches will be entered into the online voting – so make sure they accurately express your vision.
– At least two but no more than four examples of previous artistic work. If emailed they should be in a .jpg or .pdf file no larger than 1000 pixels in any direction.
– Contact information including name, phone number, email address and mailing address.
Email or snail mail submission to:
firstname.lastname@example.org (subject headline: 2013 DPP BANNER CONTEST)
Downtown Phoenix Partnership
Attn: 2013 Banner Design Contest
101 N. 1st Ave Suite 1450
Phoenix, AZ 85003
October 1 – Initial submission deadline closes
October 15 – Top 5 finalists selected via panel and online voting contest opens
November 1 – Voting contest closes at midnight
November 2 – Winner announced
December 15 – Banners printed
January 1 – Banners installed
The fine print:
All winning artwork becomes property of the Downtown Phoenix Partnership, with credit given to the artist. Banner artwork may be used in promotional material outside of pole banners. Final artwork will be printed in consultation with the contest winner. The Downtown Phoenix Partnership will cover all costs for printing and installing banners.