Then & Now: The Ultimate Guide to Historic Downtown Phoenix Buildings
May 23, 2019 by Taylor Bishop
Although Downtown Phoenix may be considered a young city, there are numerous buildings, homes and warehouses that hold remarkable tales of the past.
Celebrate National Historic Preservation Month in May and visit a few of these historic buildings. Or, take a day to ride by them all — many areas are bike friendly.
THE ELLIS-SHACKELFORD HOUSE – 1242 N. Central Ave.
Then: Built in 1917 by prominent physician William C. Ellis, this house was a landmark on a section of Central Avenue nicknamed Millionaires’ Row.
Now: Home to Arizona Humanities — a nonprofit that encourages Arizonans to explore history and culture. Private tours are offered by appointment.
THE FARISH HOUSE – 816 N. 3rd St.
Then: Nestled near the southwest corner of Garfield and Third streets since 1899, this brick house was the home of Phoenix’s first city manager, William Farish.
Now: Earlier this year, The Farish House was transformed into a quaint restaurant under the same name.
WURTH HOUSE – 401 E. Roosevelt St.
Then: The historic 1910 bungalow was originally located on the north side of Roosevelt Street.
Now: Wurth House was moved in 2015 across Roosevelt street to save it from demolition. It’s now used as office space for Local First Arizona.
WESTWARD HO – 618 N. Central Ave.
Then: Once Arizona’s tallest building, the 16-story beacon served as a luxury hotel until 1980. Several famous movies stars and politicians visited the Hotel Westward Ho, including Clark Gable, Elizabeth Taylor and John F. Kennedy.
Now: The tower is home to several hundred people, most of whom are elderly or have disabilities. Arizona State University has also moved into the ground floor offering a clinic to residents.
CHARLES PUGH HOUSE – 362 N. 2nd Ave.
Then: Built in 1897, this Queen Anne style building was once home to Charles Pugh — the editor of the Southwestern Stockman. The Victorian era home also served as a restaurant (Goldie’s 1895 House) and boarding house.
Now: You can find the boarded-up downtown treasure on Second Avenue near Crescent Ballroom.
F.L. HART GARAGE/ARIZONA AWNING COMPANY – 308 N. 2nd Ave.
Then: Built in 1917, this brick building with a wood truss roof system is indicative of early 20th Century commercial buildings in Phoenix. Businesses in this location included the F.L. Hart Garage, the Arizona Awning Company and several others.
Now: Crescent Ballroom adaptively reused the northern end of the space to create a mid-sized music venue, bar and lounge. Sun Devil Auto operates out of the south end of the building.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH – 302 W. Monroe St.
Then: Originally built in 1929, the church was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1982. A fire in 1984 destroyed the main roof structure, forming a “courtyard” in the building’s center.
Now: The Italian Gothic-style building is known as Monroe Abbey and features beautiful motifs, stone columns and three-point arch doorways. Stay tuned for updates on future tenants.
DUD R. DAY MOTOR COMPANY / PHOENIX MOTOR COMPANY – 401 W. Van Buren St.
Then: Constructed in the 1930s, this building — like many others in Downtown Phoenix — was originally built to house a car dealership.
Now: Over the years, it has undergone extensive modifications; however, original wood trusses, steel window frames and other original details are still intact. These features ultimately led to the building’s Historic Preservation overlay approval in March 2017. The building has now been converted to a music venue called The Van Buren.
WELNICK ARCADE MARKET – 345 W. Van Buren St.
Then: Brothers Leo and Ed Welnick built Welnick Bros. Marketplace in 1927 and operated the open-air “arcade” style marketplace through 1951. The building then became an automotive repair shop, warehouse and Dave Reiff Printing Co.
Now: State 48 Brewery opened in 2018 as Welnick’s first tenant in 40 years.
ORPHEUM THEATRE — 203 W. Adams St.
Then: At the time it was built in 1929, it was the largest and best theatre of its time. It hosted theatre, plays, movies and vaudeville and was the cultural center of Phoenix at the time.
Now: In 1984, the City of Phoenix purchased this historic theater after it fell into disrepair, beginning a 12-year restoration project. Today, the theatre is still used for many cultural events throughout the year, and free tours take place on alternating Tuesdays.
6TH AVENUE HOTEL – 546 W. Adams St.
Then: Originally called the 6th Avenue Hotel, this structure is one of the only hotels that remains from Phoenix’s original townsite. Built in 1893, the building has undergone a couple of name changes and an addition over the years.
Now: In 1925 it was renamed to Windsor Hotel, and later, after an addition was added, renamed one last time to the New Windsor Hotel. Its rare style of architecture captures the transition between Victorian style and 1930s Art Deco style.
HOTEL SAN CARLOS – 202 N. Central Ave.
Then: The Italian Renaissance style building opened in 1928 as one of the most modern hotels in the Southwestern United States. It was the first high rise with hand-operated elevators in the state and the first air-conditioned high-rise hotel in Phoenix.
Now: The hotel underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in 2003 that modernized its offerings while preserving its historic foundation. A stay there may even come with a visit from a ghost of Phoenix’s past.
HANNY’S – 40 N. 1st St.
Then: Hanny’s department store was the Phoenix destination for sophisticated men’s clothing from 1947 to 1986. It was also used for several years as training grounds for firefighters.
Now: After a three-year restoration, the building became Hanny’s Restaurant in 2008. Signs of the department store can be seen in the glass-covered elevator shaft and on the walls.
ROSSON HOUSE – 139 N. 6th St.
Then: Circa 1894, this Stick-Eastlake Queen Anne style was built by Dr. Roland Lee Rosson with modern accommodations including as electric lights, hot and cold running water and a telephone.
Now: The house was restored to its original condition, and now serves as a museum that offers guided tours Wednesday through Sunday.
THE SILVA HOUSE — 628 E. Adams St.
Then: A.F.C. Kirchoff, a prominent liquor dealer in Phoenix, had the house built in 1901. In 1906, Kirchoff sold the home to a Glendale rancher and warehouse owner, Alejandro Silva, which he owned until 1977.
Now: Nearly 118 years old, you can experience the historic home first hand by dining at the new restaurant, Anhelo, in Heritage Square and Science Park.
LUHRS BUILDING – 11 W. Jefferson St.
Then: Phoenix businessman George Luhrs founded the neoclassical Luhrs Buiding in 1924. Just to the west, Luhrs Tower is a 14-story Art Deco building that was built five years later, in 1929.
TANNER CHAPEL A.M.E. – 20 S. 8th St.
Then: The Gothic Revival style building was completed in 1929 and is said to be the oldest African American Church in Arizona. It is also the only Arizona church where Martin Luther King Jr. is known to have given a sermon.
Now: Tanner Chapel A.M.E. Church continues to strive to “bridge the gap between church and community.”
ANCHOR MANUFACTURING BUILDING – 525 S. Central Ave.
Then: Constructed in 1925, The Anchor Manufacturing Company made auto/bus bodies and ornamental structural iron. It was also an Anheuser-Busch distributorship and a vending machine firm.
Now: It is The Duce, a retro-chic warehouse housing a vintage camper, restaurant, art deco bar, boxing ring and retail store.
BELL LAUNDRY BUILDING – 215 E. Grant St.
Then: Built in 1918, this Warehouse District beauty served as a commercial laundry business until 1999.
Now: A unique, full-service event venue called Warehouse215 that still has the original brick walls, wood-beam bow truss ceiling and clerestory windows.
ARIZONA GENERAL ELECTRIC SUPPLY WAREHOUSE – 441 W. Madison St.
Then: In the 1920s, this building was the home of one of Arizona’s finest printing presses. It also served as a warehouse for Arizona General Electric Supply.
Now: The Pressroom, a venue that hosts concerts, raves, pop-up exhibits, weddings and private parties.
THE CARVER – 415 E. Grant Street
Then: The Phoenix Union Colored High School was open from 1929 to 1954 (was renamed George Washington Carver in 1943). After the school closed, it became a storage building until 1991.
Now: The former school’s main building still exists and is now the George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center.
Did we miss your favorite DTPHX historic building? Let us know, we just might add it in!
*Lauren Potter contributed to this article