The smiling faces of the DTPHX Ambassadors embody the spirit of our community. Join the team today!
Open Position: Downtown Phoenix Ambassador
Department: Enhanced Municipal Services
Category: Full-Time, Non-Exempt Employee
Reports to: Team Lead/Ambassador Program Manager
The Downtown Phoenix Ambassadors are a service of Downtown Phoenix Inc. DPI delivers enhanced municipal services to the Downtown Core. Enhanced municipal services include safety and hospitality; placemaking and streetscape maintenance; parking and transportation; marketing and events; and stakeholder engagement.
The Downtown Phoenix Ambassadors serve as a welcoming presence for employees, visitors, business/property owners, students and residents. Ambassadors are on-foot or bike in areas of high pedestrian activity. The mission of the Ambassadors is make a person’s visit to downtown safe, enjoyable and memorable. This is done in a number of ways including providing recommendations, answering questions and providing general assistance. The Downtown Phoenix Ambassadors work regular weekly shifts assigned at the time of hire. The Ambassadors offer services 365 days a year, therefore the ability to work weekends and holidays are necessary.
- Provide a visible, uniformed presence in designated areas of Downtown Phoenix to make it feel safe and friendly
- Be a “downtown aficionado” and share knowledge of downtown history, public art, museums, restaurants, entertainment venues, services, businesses, etc. with the public
- Promote Downtown Phoenix by sharing marketing resources and collateral
- Provide walking tours to interested parties
- Provide safety escorts to patrons as needed
- Interact with downtown businesses; regularly stocking their downtown marketing materials
- Represent Downtown Phoenix Inc. at meetings and special events
- Assist with first aid and emergency situations if needed
- Report issues and help maintain an inviting, clean look of the streets and buildings in Downtown Phoenix
- Assist with homeless outreach
- Perform parking lot checks during major events to help with traffic control
- Complete other assignments as specified by a Team Lead or Program Manager
- Able to walk, stand or ride a bike outdoors in extreme weather (i.e. high temperatures, occasional storms)
- Willing to wear specified uniform, and maintain a neat, professional appearance
- Must be physically able to carry supplies while on duty, ability to safely lift and carry at least 25 lbs.
Desired Professional/Personal Characteristics:
- Minimum High School Diploma or GED, some college or advanced learning preferred
- More than 2 years of customer service and/or hospitality experience
- Outgoing, friendly personality and a desire to truly help people
- Good verbal and written communication skills, comfortable speaking in front of groups
- Comfortable using various Microsoft programs, the internet and cellular phone applications
- Comfort working in an inclusive, diverse environment
- Ability to quickly assess situations and make sound decisions
- Able to manage multiple tasks and be flexible as other important situations arise
- Self-motivated, trustworthy and capable of executing actions that meet the company’s vision and mission