Browse by category
There’s a famous baseball song that goes something like, “Take me out to the ballgame/take me out to Downtown.”
Seriously, those are the lyrics.
Our defending National League West champion Arizona Diamondbacks open their 2012 season against the San Francisco Giants at 4:10 p.m. this Friday and fans of all ages are invited Downtown for pregame, in-game, and postgame revelry.
The fun kicks off this week with multiple events to rally up support for the team.
A week-long #RedAlert scavenger hunt has Diamondbacks fans of all ages scrambling around Downtown searching for a life-size cutout of manger Kirk Gibson. The clues are revealed each day at noon or 6:30pm and the first 23 to find the cutout win prizes range from tickets to t-shirts. For more information, click here.
Keep your eyes open for window decorations popping up around Downtown, as well. Window Wars is pitting business and residents against each other in the quest for a suite of tickets to an upcoming D-backs game. Check out the windows and vote for your favorite on the D-backs Facebook page and the Downtown Phoenix Partnership page.
But the real fun begins on game day – the Downtown Phoenix Partnership is throwing a daylong tailgate party at Patriot’s Square (First Avenue east to Central Avenue/Washington south to Jefferson) from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. This Opening Day shebang will feature:
– The “Morning Mayor” Dave Pratt and the MY 103.9 FM van will be on hand from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. playing your favorite tunes and giving away tons of free stuff
– Dunk tank featuring Throw at Faux-Brian Wilson, and other carnival-themed games
– Kiddie Field of Dreams, including whiffle ball, speed pitch and other games of skill
– Music by two of Downtown’s top DJs, Sean Watson and William Reed
– Beer, wine, and sangria tent by Chloe’s Kitchen, which will also be grilling up fan-friendly fare like hamburgers and hot dogs
– Free parking in the CityScape garage with any D-Backs/Giants ticket