Downtown's Weekly Walk/Run Celebrates One Year of Fitness, Social Connectivity
November 5, 2015 by Fara Illich
When: Flexible self-check-in times between 5:15 and 6:30 p.m. Closing ceremony with awesome giveaways at 7 p.m.
During the past year, more than 9,000 participants met up at The Corner inside CityScape Phoenix to walk, run or attend a free fitness class as part of Meet Me Downtown Phoenix.
The growing success of this free weekly fitness event demonstrates downtown’s evolution as a community, according to David Krietor, president and CEO of Downtown Phoenix Inc.
“Meet Me Downtown is the type of event that you would see in any robust neighborhood,” he said. “So to see all these people come and participate in a community-driven activity is the neatest thing — it’s really a reflection of the changes that have happened downtown.”
The Birthday Bash takes place Monday, Nov. 9, with self-check-in times between 5:15 and 6:30 p.m. – featuring an interactive trivia game along the route, awesome raffle prizes, a health fair, and as always, great deals at local restaurants and businesses just for participating.
According to Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela, the celebration marks a major milestone for the city’s healthy-living initiative, FitPHX. Valenzuela will commemorate the Birthday Bash during the 7 p.m. closing ceremony.
“It’s part of a continued effort to create a safe, connected, walkable community in Downtown Phoenix,” he said.
The numbers speak for themselves. With approximately 200 people in attendance weekly, Meet Me Downtown not only provides a fun opportunity to get fit, it also boosts downtown business and attracts new visitors.
“Having thousands of attendees show their commitment this year to a healthy lifestyle while experiencing our vibrant downtown is exciting,” said Jeff Stelnik, senior vice president of strategy, sales and marketing for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona (BCBSAZ).
Birthday fun and festivities:
- BCBSAZ Health Fair at 5:15 p.m. at CityScape Phoenix with free health screenings
- The Phoenix Suns Gorilla at 5:15 p.m.
- Nourishing Arizona produce bags for the first 200 people
- Birthday cake and music at Margaret T. Hance Park between 5:15 and 6:30 p.m.
- Farmers market inside The Corner starting at 5:15 p.m.
- Free group exercise class at Civic Space Park at 5:30 p.m.
- Interactive trivia game about downtown with questions along the route
- Pickleball at Heritage and Science Park
- Official birthday commemoration by Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela at 7 p.m.
- Raffle prizes including Nike Fitbits, Phoenix Suns tickets, $200 in Sole Sports Running Zone gift cards, a Coca-Cola mountain bike, free one-month membership to the Lincoln Family Downtown YMCA and more at 7 p.m.
See you there!